No fitness resolutions this year


2015 marks the first January in a decade none of my New Year’s Resolutions have anything to do with exercise.

Me (Number 3) at Eynsham 10k in 2014 - showing the need to work on my game face. Picture by Barry Cornelius
For the last 10 years I have always pledged to run more, swim more, bike more, stretch more, squat more or some such exercise-related promise. Not this year. This year feels different because I’m different.

In the last 12 months I’ve transitioned from someone who wants to get fit and maybe get a Personal Best in the odd race to an athlete whose fitness is a constant 80 %. I am now motivated to top that up with a structured training plan in the build up to a race; as evidenced by the fact I PB’d in every triathlon I completed in 2014.

I compete in five or six triathlons a year but running has become a stronger-and-stronger discipline for me. I finally ducked under the 40minute mark for a 10km in November 2013 with a 39.41 and have kept my pace at about that ever since (actual times vary owing to course profile, weather, course length etc).

But the biggest event in 2015 – my A Race to use the proper phraseology – will be the London Marathon. I have entered eight times and thought that I was destined never to get in but finally I received the long-awaited acceptance magazine.

So this meant my motivation was even stronger over Christmas – traditionally a period when my hard-earned fitness drops considerably – and this year I managed to limit the calorie intake while keeping up three runs a week over the Christmas fortnight.

I have mapped out a 16-week training plan based upon, but not strictly adhering to, those found in Runners World. I have a 10km race at the end of February and a 20km race booked for the end of March and am interested to see how fast I can go with serious training to build on 12 months of consistent fitness.

That’s where my New Year’s Resolution of 2015 also comes in. I am a writer by trade, for newspapers and magazines, a blogger for fun but one who has let life overcome the urge to write for far too long. What better to blog about than how much I’m enjoying the build up to the London Marathon?

This blog won’t just be populated by my training talk – I am far too opinionated to let other opportunities pass me by – but it has been the spark I needed to get writing.

Thanks for reading. Comment if the spirit moves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment